– 1 pound extra lean ground beef
– 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and cut into ¾ inch strips
– ½ small red onion, chopped
– 1 cup ketchup (low sodium)
– ½ cup finely chopped low sodium pickles
– 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
– ½ small red inion, sliced
– 8 cups chopped lettuce
– 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
– 1 cup low fat shredded cheese
Prep 30 m Cook 10 m Ready In 40 m
1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Arrange the strips in a single layer on a baking sheet, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the strips are lightly toasted. Set the strips aside.
3. Place the ground beef into a skillet over medium heat, and brown the meat for about 10 to 12 minutes, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, until the meat is well browned and no longer pink inside. Stir the chopped onion, ketchup, dill pickle, and mustard into the beef mixture and mix well.
4. Arrange the chopped lettuce on a large serving platter, and spoon the beef mixture over the lettuce. Top the salad with the sliced onion, plum tomatoes, and shredded cheese, and arrange the hamburger bun croutons around the platter.